Monday, August 25, 2008

Almost ready to throw in the towel!

A few weeks ago, I was almost ready to throw in the towel and say “ya know what? I haven’t bought anything new for almost 8 months. Isn’t that close enough to a year? I mean, really, what is 4 months?” The thing that I was having trouble with was what to do about gifts and cards. I know I said that right when we started, but I really thought I would be a little more on the ball and have knitted some things to give as gifts or have sat down and made a bunch of cards to have on hand. But I did not do either of those things.

In the past month, I have been invited to two baby showers-one, two days before the actual event. I have had 2 birthdays and also 2 friends each lose a parent. This was also a very crazy month for me (when isn’t it crazy) because we had all of our kids home visiting most of the month. So, needless to say, I didn’t have a lot of extra time to sit and make cards or come up with creative gifts. So… I bought gift cards. What does anyone think about that? I have had discussions with friends and most think “of course that is ok.” I, however, am not sold on it. First off, I don’t really like giving gift cards, though most people seem to enjoy getting them. And secondly, I think it is an excuse for my lack of organization and forsight. I am still struggling with this issue, however, a wonderful friend of mine sure helped me out in the card making department.

I am not a stamper, nor do I have any special cardmaking supplies. At least up to this point. A few weeks ago, Michelle, a good friend of mine from college, gave me this box filled with extra stamping things that she had. There was paper, envelopes, ink pads, ribbon, tape (special card making tape) along with instructions for making cards. It was one of the most thoughtful surprises I have had in a long time. My daughter and I sat down right away and starting making some cards (which I was able to use for the two birthdays) and had a great time. Though she didn’t realize it at the time, Michelle gave me the extra little boost to keep me from throwing in the towel.

If I never bought another new thing for me, I think I would be ok. Should I continue to do this beyond a year, I think I will make gift-giving an exception to the rule.

4 comments:

KB said...

Just when I was going to call you to see if you wanted to spend a day making cards with me my crafty friend. I have more crafty supplies than I know what to do with and I need to make christmas presents... I need to simlify my life big time mainly tighten my budget and here you are quitting don't you dare!

britt said...

Hello. Fellow Compacter here. I've been going since July 1. Not to be harsh but- aren't gift cards the same as buying a consumer good while throwing in a middle man made of plastic?
I'm all for homemade gifts, or just taking a holiday from gift-giving all together. If your friends and family don't understand it's unfortunate..
Otherwise-I'm so glad to hear other Compacters struggle too.

Anonymous said...

I have 2 solutions to the greeting card dilemma.
One is that I receive so many free cards from all the organizations that I do or do not donate to, I have a lifetime supply of cards. They are not always appropriate, so that leaves solution # 2, which involves reusing cards you have received. You can rip off the half that was written on and use the decorative part as a kind of postcard/greeting card.
OR - my personal favorite - if the card had an inset paper glued to the inside, tear it off and glue some pretty paper on the ragged place. And voila - perfectly new card.

I find that most peole are so excited to get any kind of personal mail these days, anything you send is appreciated.

Sassy said...

I have struggled a lot this year with the Compact. I have gotten a lot of things used or free through craigslist or freecycle, but I have broken down and bought some things new (like sheets). There are just some things I don't want to settle on, you know? I want my sheets to be new and soft and the color I want. It's tough to meet those requirements while compacting.

We all do what we can with this, and we really do need to think a lot about our purchases and decisions with respect to what is important, but I honestly believe that it's not meant to make us feel bad about ourselves and the decisions we make. We have to do what feels right.

Take care and great job making the cards!

Leslie