Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Mall

Well it has been two months and other than our doorknob dilemma (see the previous post), we have had very little trouble buying nothing new so far. I found a used sweater at the Salvation Army store that I liked, and I have been wearing it just about every other day. I think I am wearing it so much just to train myself not to worry about what people think when I have the same darn sweater on all the time!

I bought a new pair of glasses recently, my prescription has changed and my old lenses were scratched. Obviously new lenses to match my prescription are OK to buy, but what about the frames? I guess I could have just had the lenses replaced in my old frames, but the frames were a little bent and did not fit as well as they should so I decided that this in not contrary to our pledge. Am I already starting to rationalize things too easily? A door knob, new glasses…what will I buy next and say it is OK because I come up with a good sounding reason?

I walked through the mall to get the glasses and had an interesting experience. As I looked around it hit me that I could not buy anything I was seeing. There was so much stuff packed in that huge mall, but I realized there was almost nothing there that I actually NEEDED. Imagine that…10’s of thousands of square feet of stuff we don’t need! This is our world.

Ok I am probably just being a little strange now, but it was actually kind of a freeing feeling.

-Bob

No comments: