Friday, March 7, 2008

Used Sunglasses in Hollywood


I am in Los Angeles on business this week and am visiting my son who is here for the semester on an internship. His internship in at ASCAP in Hollywood, and he has an apartment in West Hollywood. (Well, calling it an apartment is an exaggeration, it is actually more like a large closet with a bathroom!)

Anyway, I got here and realized I had forgotten my sunglasses at home. How was I ever going to find used sunglasses in Hollywood, CA?! I was resigned to squinting for a couple days to keep our compact promise.

As I was walking down Santa Monica Blvd to find lunch, I spotted a small shop selling used men’s designer clothes. I went in and was disappointed to find that, while they had lots of used clothes, the only sunglasses I saw were designer glasses for $100-$150 a pair. As silly as it seemed I asked a young clerk if they had any used sun glasses and was surprised when she said, “Yes we have some in a case over here”. Lo and behold there was a small case of used sunglasses for $10 each right in the middle of Hollywood…who would have guessed!

I ended up having a nice conversation with the clerk about The Compact and she was very interested. I guess I will never assume anything about finding and using used stuff the rest of the year!


-Bob

No comments: